VantageLinks is a dedicated Information Technology (IT) staffing company supporting our clients with all their IT Needs. We currently have an opening for a Platform Engineer - Linux with one of our premier clients.
THIS IS A DIRECT ROLE WITH OUR CLIENT. WE ARE UNABLE TO ACCEPT H1B CANDIDATES AND PLEASE NO STAFFING AGENCIES.
The Platform Engineer - Linux is responsible for translating functionality requests made by business leaders and Sr. Management into technology solutions supportable by the rest of IT as well as recommending system modifications to reduce user problems and optimize user performance. In addition they will be responsible for technical deliverables related to the implementation of the application enhancements and liaison with Developers, Application Support, Database Administrator, Infrastructure and Security.
This position will be responsible for System Monitoring & Operations, Capacity and Performance Monitoring & Management, and performing, maintaining and supporting implementations, upgrades and patching for all Unix/Linux environments. In addition they will be required to deliver 24*7 technical support of all production Unix/Linux systems.
This position will also be responsible to develop, test, and manage Back-up, Recovery and Disaster Recovery processes for all Unix/Linux systems.
The Platform Engineer - Linux is the local Subject Matter Expert (SME) of their technology discipline and as such will be the escalation point for complex user issues captured by the service desk and PC/LAN Support technicians. Holders of this position must be capable of exercising discretion and independent judgement, specifically including analyzing problems, weighing alternative approaches and recommending solutions.
This position will also routinely interact with equipment vendors and service providers to stay abreast of technologies as well as meeting with System Architects of the larger organization to represents company concerns to the larger organization. This position has responsibility to assess, make analytical decisions, and develop implementation/upgrade roadmap for the specific technology functional domain, in accordance with global and local initiatives.
- Ability to quickly identify cause of technical problems and provide resolution. Expert in identified technical domain, providing a point of escalation to the IT Service Desk.
- Must have the ability to provide technical support over the phone; professional phone skills and demeanor required.
- Manage technical domain(s) enabling supportability and upgrade path. Engineer technical solutions in accordance with defined global and local architectures, policies and standards that satisfy business, regulatory, and internal technical drivers.
- Develop and document local policies and standards that underpin defined architectures. Contribute and affect the evolution of global architecture, policies and standards in defined technical area to accommodate company’s unique needs.
- Develop clear and concise documentation for end users and support teams
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously. Manage projects, within technical domain, from start to finish, coordinating the entire project life-cycle, team and end-user involvement and impact.
- Ability to lead problem resolution identifying gaps in documentation and providing clarified documentation for front-line technical staff.
- Rotational on-call responsibility
- Some travel may be required.
- Demonstrates ability to grasp and use new technology concepts.
- Friendly presence and helpful attitude; good interpersonal skills and ability to work well with others.
- Ability to communicate clearly verbally and in writing.
- Must be familiar with and comply with laws, regulations and internal policies and procedures that are applicable to required job duties.
- Ability to work in a “team” environment
Key Performance Indicators:
- Processes information logically and is able to use the result in appropriate business applications to meet the requirements of the job. Handles normal and extraordinary situations well.
- Makes sound business decisions; understands and achieves business goals.
- Reliably organizes work; works effectively and efficiently, prioritizes work and anticipates business need.
- High level of commitment to excellent performance. Extends extra effort to ensure customers and colleagues are treated according to company Mission Statement and policies.
- Coordinates department’s effort, within department or with other groups, to achieve departmental goals.
- Represents company favorably at all times.
Job Skills and Knowledge:
- Strong knowledge of Unix/Linux shell scripting.
- Strong knowledge of Unix/Linux security features.
- Intermediate Network communications skills in NFS, LDAP, NIS, TCP/IP, DNS.
- Intermediate knowledge of common Unix/Linux Administration tools and Utilities
- Basic knowledge of Windows Network Operating Systems.
- Basic knowledge of MS Office.
- Basic understanding of Microsoft Exchange Server.
- Basic understanding of Active Directory.
- Basic understanding of Windows networking and telecommunications, to include SMTP, and VPN.
- General knowledge of Computer hardware, software and peripherals.
- General knowledge of SCCM, SAV and remote connectivity (Checkpoint).
- General understanding of the procedures for installing, configuring, upgrading, troubleshooting and repairing applicable software, hardware and peripherals.
- General knowledge of techniques for explaining technical concepts and procedures to non-technical users.
- Maintains current knowledge of hardware, software and network technology and recommends modifications as necessary.
- Ability to solve complex problems and deal with a variety of situations where only limited standards may exist and critical thinking is needed for effective resolutions.
- Experience with Oracle.
- Experience with Centrify Unix/Linux Identity Management.
- Experience with Red Hat Network Satellite.
- Accurately prepares written business correspondence that is coherent, grammatically correct, effective and professional.
- Relays relevant IT-related information to the company in a timely manner.
- 5-7 years experience in Information Technology
- 3-5 years experience as a Linux administrator
- BS in computer science, information technology, or a related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job as listed above.
- Advanced degree a Plus
- Technology-specific certifications a Plus