Under the general supervision of the Sales Manager, the Distribution Sales Manager is responsible for securing and managing distributors to meet planned sales objectives. The position requires that the Distribution Sales Manager secure adequate distribution channels to ensure proper coverage and market penetration. The Regional Manager is also required to develop realistic sales plans that will ensure profitable and long-range growth.
- Develop strong relationships distributors to secure solid distribution to ensure appropriate coverage and market penetration.
- Secure orders through traditional distributors, national accounts, specialty distributors and buying groups to meet planned sales objectives.
- Plan management and sales enhanced activities to ensure that key distributor and customer relations are maintained, while prioritizing the most important issues and opportunities, so they may be addressed accordingly.
- Identify key sales opportunities, either in the form of new distribution, National Accounts or existing distribution to increase sales. Communicate any such opportunities to supervisor.
- Secure market information pertaining to new product needs, program opportunities, national account opportunities, competitive issues, and distributor issues/opportunities for communication, review, and direct field action.
- Prepare and submit weekly sales/activity and expense.
- Attend to service issues, proper product applications, builds of material, competitive crossovers and system design.
- Monitor project activity and involve distributors when necessary.
- Gather competitive data (pricing, promotions, new products, local activity, etc.) and share with sales management.
- Provide solid information on why a potential customer won’t do business with us and why they are doing business with the competition.
- Overnight travel will be required and will average 20 to 30% of the time.
- Professional appearance is required. Appropriate dress is business casual; khaki type pants, professional golf type shirt or collared dress shirts. Employee should always present themselves in a professional manner.
Minimum Skill Requirements:
- 4+ years’ experience in selling to distributors
- Miller Heiman Sales methodology experience a plus
- Fluent in English, speech and writing; Spanish a plus
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Ability to coordinate projects with large distributors involving project manager, production, sales and finance departments
- Fluent with Microsoft products, specifically Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- 30-50% travel required; 1-2 trips to our international locations may be required