Infrastructure Engineer II
Provides skilled technical assistance for several technologies including Microsoft Windows operating systems, virtualization, network, voice, email, database and storage to provide sustainable, stable and secure enterprise level services. Develops technical standards and provides resolution for Infrastructure related problems.
- Manages issue identification and resolution process; serves as the focal point for infrastructure-related issue/crisis resolution.
- Performs software installations and upgrades to operating systems and layered software packages. Schedules installations and upgrades and maintains them in accordance with established IT policies and procedures.
- Receives no instruction on routine work and general instructions on new projects or assignments.
- Designs, installs, configures and performs testing of assigned systems or processes. Examples include: voice/data communications, telecom/network infrastructure, servers/operating systems/utilities, security and system monitoring software/hardware.
- Participates in rotating on-call support. Responsible for resolution of service outages and other service problems during an on-call period. On call may occur during standard or non-standard business hours.
- Investigates and develops solutions for recurring problems on assigned systems. Develops recommendations for configuration changes, updates or process changes to provide greater stability and performance of assigned systems or processes.
- Researches issues and possible problems with potential upgrades to existing infrastructure. Develops testing and implementation plans. Works with other engineers to plan installations and upgrades and ensures subsequent maintenance in accordance with established IT policies and procedures. Monitors system to achieve optimum performance levels.
- Develops and implements business practices for management, backup, recovery and archival procedures. Contributes to the development of department standards.
- Periodically travels to other locations for training and/or projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of and demonstrated experience in complex VoIP/LAN/WAN environments, in addition to expert knowledge of Microsoft Operating Systems, Active Directory and network devices.
- Strong communications skills are required as well as maintaining a customer focus.
- Advanced working knowledge of SAN-based storage solutions, Cisco IOS network operating systems and VMware virtualization technologies preferred but not required.
- Understanding of enterprise server security technologies, networking and security protocols, authentication schemes and technologies.
- Must be highly organized with advanced analytical skills to resolve complex technical and procedural problems.
- Ability to deal effectively and calmly with crisis situations.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and to appropriately prioritize tasks.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Math or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3-5 years of increasingly complex experience in voice, data and security systems.