Manager of Data Architecture
Plan, upgrade and support the company’s data environment. This includes the Oracle E-Business Suite environment, Fusion Middleware Applications, and Oracle and SQL Server application databases. Manage a small database team, which offers 24hr support for the environment. Provide excellent customer service to both internal and external customers, and coordinate projects between other departments in IT. This is a technical hands-on role with included management responsibilities.
Hybrid – This role may be performed with remote work and an agreed upon amount of in office work.
- Oversee the company’s data environment, which includes Oracle databases, SQL Server databases and a full Oracle E-Business Suite environment. The environment supports forty plus mission critical applications and over 2000 users.
- The Oracle E-Business implementation includes 4 application tiers, (primary, secondary, external, ASCP), a 2 node RAC, standby databases and some 3rd party applications. Dev and Test environments are similarly constructed.
- With DBA team: clone, patch, upgrade, troubleshoot and tune the database and application environments. As needed, support business user testing and troubleshooting. Also, keep applications in sync with Oracle provided mandatory patches and recommended security patches.
- For SQL Server: work closely with the IT Infrastructure team to ensure that SQL Server databases are maintained as needed and to a similar standard as Oracle.
- Perform various administration, support and research activities in the Oracle and Oracle E-Business environment to assist the team as needed.
- Manage a small DBA staff, responsible for 50+ Oracle databases and 25 SQL Server databases. Some of the company’s databases are 24 x 7 support. Plan and prioritize work. Ensure critical tasks are executed in a proper and timely manner. Promote regular patching and upgrades to ensure the integrity of the data environments.
- Management duties will include budget planning and monitoring, setting staff goals, assessing performance of staff and developing recommendations for promotion and compensation. Meeting regularly with staff to discuss work assignments, status, issues, prioritization, progress on goals and sharing of pertinent information.
- Participate with the IT management team in planning production rollouts. Ensure production outages are planned and coordinated with applicable parties and downtime is minimized.
- Manage and evaluate process improvement solutions, which encompass server, databases and 3rd party tools affecting the data environment. Manage database changes and related processes from inception to production deployment making sure they are on time, on budget and fully functional.
- Ensure the company’s data environments and data are secure. Promote and suggest improvements in this area.
- Responsible for evaluating and planning future upgrade paths and timing. Suggest improvements in database architecture, physical environment, or licensing to maximize performance and cost effectiveness.
- Responsible for the IT Data Architecture annual operating budget of approximately $500,000. Annually create the revolving three-year budget and monitor expenditures monthly to ensure that budget requirements are met.
Knowledge & Skills
- Extensive knowledge of Oracle databases 19c and the E-Business suite R12.
- Experience supporting and upgrading Oracle database environments and/or Oracle E-Business environments.
- Experience with Oracle Database administration and/or E-Business system and workflow administration.
- Good SQL writing and debugging skills. Strong understanding of relational databases and database design.
- Some experience with SQL Server databases and applications is preferred.
- Experience managing multiple environments at varying version levels.
- Ability to work with others to determine identify causes, resolve problems and restore services in Oracle database and Oracle E-business / RAC environments in a timely manner.
- Understanding of information technology standards, procedures and practices.
- Understanding of application performance characteristics, especially for the Oracle E-Business suite.
- Experience planning, estimating and managing information technology projects. Ability to manage to a schedule.
- Ability to analyze and assess business needs to recommend an appropriate information technology solution.
- Experience in a team environment and with management of a project or functional team.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with groups from diverse backgrounds and technical abilities.
- Possess interpersonal skills necessary to interact with all levels of technical and business personnel.
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, work under pressure and adapt to demanding situations.
Experience and Education
- BS/BA in Computer Science or a related field required. MS/MBA preferred.
- 5 years’ experience minimum in Information Technology.