Manager, Technical Product Owner
The Manager, Technical Product Owner (TPO) leads the Information Technology (IT) product team(s) providing technology vision, systems development oversight, and day-to-day operational management for all technology within their area of responsibility.
- Provides leadership to IT product teams to drive technical development and provides visibility of product status to Executive Leaders.
- Provides vision and direction to the IT product teams and stakeholders within and outside of the organization.
- Ensures the teams are completing projects on time and remains actively involved in continuous improvement of the products.
- Actively identifies and removes impediments to ensure delivery of product development deliverables based on the product roadmaps and timetables established by the company.
- In partnership with business leadership, ensures product development is aligned with product vision, roadmap, and business expansion/growth opportunities.
- Develops the technology roadmap for managed products, supporting the goals and objectives defined in the overall product roadmap.
- Provides backlog management, iteration planning, and elaboration of the user stories.
- Works closely with the business’ Product Management Team to create and maintain a product backlog according to business value or ROI.
- Leads the planning product release plans and set expectation for delivery of new functionalities.
- Provides monthly status reporting of all projects to include schedules, scope, and total estimated costs (including hours and other expenses).
- Uses Agile practices for oversight of managed products to ensure teams continually develop and improve products in an effective and efficient manner.
- Responsible for the adherence to Service Level Agreements (SLAs) for all customer facing and critical internal systems.
- Ensures team adherence to company programming standards and controls.
- Supports implementations.
- Stays current on key technology developments that could involve a change to or improvement of products managed.
- Acts as a liaison for managed products with other areas in IT.
- Directs, organizes, supervises, and assists product staff. Assumes responsibility for ensuring the efficient and effective operation of staff by:
- Reviewing and improving existing operating policies and procedures and ensuring their effective implementation and maintenance; implementing new procedures as required.
- Making personnel decisions regarding employment, development, performance ratings, salary changes, promotions, transfers, and terminations.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
Skills and Abilities:
- Proven ability to lead critical business systems/applications.
- Experience developing business applications in either a waterfall or Agile manner.
- Experienced managing all aspects of software application development lifecycle (SDLC).
- Willingness to apply Agile processes and principles.
- Outstanding communication, presentation, and leadership skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Sharp analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Creative thinker with a vision.
- Strong attention to details.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors degree in computer science, information systems or computer engineering or equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years of previous industry experience, preferable in a business services organization.
- 3-5 years of experience as Product Manager or IT Manager.