Senior Research and Development Engineer
The R&D engineers develop advanced protection and control concepts for electric power systems. These include Protective Relay Systems, Automatic Voltage Regulators, and Excitation Systems for synchronous machines along with Genset Controls.
Duties include performing power system simulations, protection and control algorithm development, writing code for embedded applications, writing technical articles and publications, attending and presenting at technical conferences, traveling to customer sites for meetings, and commissioning newly developed protection and control concepts.
We are looking for candidates that are interested in performing research and development. Candidates must have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering. Advanced degrees are a plus.
Performs engineering research and development on projects requiring knowledge of electric power systems. Originates solutions to power systems issues and applies new and unique techniques. Attends conferences, makes presentations, and interfaces directly with customers regarding product and/or applications development. Must have good communicative and coordinative skills to supply technical advice and counsel to other professionals and management.
Reports to: Manager of Research and Development Engineering
- Develop new concepts and proposals for electrical power systems protection and control based on direction from principal engineer or management level staff.
- Assist customers and other engineers in performing simulations and power systems studies.
- Develop detailed Engineering specifications and proposals, including protection and control algorithms.
- Design protection and control systems, including writing code for embedded applications.
- Develop protection and control models, algorithms, and/or proposals as required to support the project estimating and quoting phases for products used in power systems.
- Assist in establishing design criteria to meet customer requirements for new products.
- Direct and/or test design concepts via simulation or with a prototype and having design reviews as necessary.
- Direct and/or record design test data.
- Have periodical review of total design concept.
- Write theory of operation.
- Proficient with the simulation tools used in the industry.
- Assist in representing Power Systems engineering to various divisions as well as externally to customers, government agencies, professional organizations and/or the general industry in which we serve.
- Actively participates in industry organizations in support of / and to promote the company and its target industries and markets.
- Must be capable of supervising and coordinating other engineers and technicians as assigned to a particular project.
- Travel as necessary to develop or support business opportunities, new product solutions, technology, existing products, and application expertise.
- Other duties as required or assigned.
- BSEE degree or equivalent.
- 6 years’ experience in electrical power systems protection and control design and/or analysis.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Proficient computer skills.
- The ability to comprehend and apply principals of advance mathematics including calculus, differential equations, statistics, complex number theory, Laplace, and Fourier transforms.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedures.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the public.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Paid Vacation and Holidays
- AD&D Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Short- and Long-Term Disability Insurance